- OpenOffice.org X11 version:
- Requires X11
- Actually launches an xterm with a shell session when it runs
- Makes you wait a minute before doing anything, then displays a useless "Command timed out" error message
- Then runs some Java stuff before finally starting up
- Doesn't take X11 with it when you shut it down
- Draws menus as window decorations instead of at the top of the Desktop where it belongs in OS X (well, that's an X11 app for you)
- Utterly broken in Spaces. Won't let you assign it to a particular Space, it just launches wherever you are. Then, sometimes it won't even let you switch away from it, following you around like one of those web popups that just reopens every time it closes.
- Doesn't adopt OS X keyboard shortcuts (e.g. Alt+Backspace doesn't erase a word)
- Useless Aqua menu: just the NeoOffice menu item itself, not even so much as a "New > Spreadsheet" menu.
- OpenOffice.org Aqua version:
- All the icons are upside-down and pink
- The clipboard doesn't work, even though the last update said the clipboard was finally fixed
- By the way, the last update was July 2007.
And all three are slow.
I don't get it. OO.org is AWESOME on Windows. It blazes in Ubuntu. Why, despite THREE attempts, is it a steaming pile of shit on a Mac?