Monday, October 13, 2008

Goonmill - still seeking art - samples here!

I mentioned this earlier: I am seeking samples of art for monsters in the System Reference Document for D&D 3.5. These must be openly-licensed, i.e. CC-BY, public domain or other non-restrictive license.  (It must allow derivatives and commercial uses.)  The purpose is to pile the artwork up until every monster in the books has free token art to go with it.  This will make it much easier to include with Virtual Gaming Tables, RPG management software, and the like, but I want it free enough that people can think of their own uses, and not have to worry about whether they are breaking copyright law.  Publish it with your module PDF?  Make a Flash game with it?  I don't see why not.

I am publishing thumbnails of what I have so far, with a complete table of all the monsters.  I need images of 500+ of these monsters, but I have 165 covered so far!  A lot of them would be easy because there is so much repetition; for example, if I had one decent CC-licensed dragon, I could just recolor and reposition him and cover about 95 dragons in that list (not an exaggeration).

There are 110 unique, freely-licensed images in the index below, and (because of duplication) they cover about 165 of the monster entries.

The sample page of my freely-licensed Monster Art.

At the top of the page are thumbnails of all the images I have, culled from commons.wikimedia.org.  Below that is a table with all the monsters in the SRD, next to the filename of an image if it has one.  My top priority is getting the table filled; second priority is getting higher quality images and more variety for some of them.  Third priority is getting alternate images for as many as possible, so that a creator has a choice of which token to use.

I will release the full archive (full-sized images) as soon as I get off my lazy butt and go get the attributions i need for some of those 110 images.  While they are all freely licensed, some of them do require attribution, and I owe it to the creators to at least provide that before I publish fully.

The reason I am picking this back up again is the Encounter-a-Day blog is throwing around the idea of a monster manual wiki (which I think should be named the Mob Manual), and I have offered this index to help out.

No comments: